Tuesday, February 8, 2011

It's the little things that matter!

When you are tired even the smallest injustice can be enough to ruin your day. Just such an instance occurred last Sunday at the Orlen petrol station on the A2 between Lodz and Poddebice.

I was returning home after a very long and tiring weekend teaching in Warsaw and had to stop for petrol. I only had 30zl in cash and thought this would be enough to get me home.

Orlen stil has petrol attendants who pump the petrol for you and so I asked for 30zl worth. I am used to people sometimes misshearing my 30 as 40 and so had the money in my hand. The guy did his job and I replaced the cap and went in to pay.

After standing in a long que I finally told the woman at the desk my pump number and said 30zl placeing the money down at the same time. She looked at the money and said "And 37 grosze."

I said ofcourse "er no it was 30zl." To which she showed me her screen an stated again 30.37zl. I protested (calmly I think) that it was not me, it was the tall bloke who works there. She repeated her demand for 37 gr.

Now at this point let me explain, I am inclined to argue over the smallest things for the sake of a principle at the best of times; but in this case I truly didn't have any more money. If I did I would have got more petrol.

I said that it was not my fault and that it was the petrol attendants fault and that if they look at the CCTV they will see this. She ofcourse protested and pointed to the amount again. I repeated that it was not my fault and I'm not interested in her 37gr problem. She eventually gave up and cleared the till, putting the receipt down on the counter. I was a bit unsure as to whether that was the end of it, but took her refusal to talk to me ad a sign that I could go; and so left.

The moral of the story? A guy who can not stop a pump to within 1gr of the amount required should not be employed as a petrol pump attendent! Idiot!!!

3 comments:

  1. You know, that situation would get on my nerves also, but I'm too weak to have protested and would have just given her the money, or if I had no drobne, my kidney instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not sure my kidney is worth 37gr :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whilst she should have just shrugged it off, have you ever tried getting the petrol pump to give you the exact amount? It never does.

    ReplyDelete